What is DropBox?
DropBox is a cloud-storage platform allowing you to store your files securely online for access from any computer and most portable devices such as iPads and iPhones. It also allows you to share those files with others, or allow others to send files to you.
Installing DropBox on your computer
You can download and install DropBox from https://www.dropbox.com/install
- When installing on a personal laptop: Simply download and run the installer and follow the prompts.
- When installing on a school PC or laptop: You may be asked for a Huntingtower administrator password. Please contact ICT Helpdesk and someone will come to help you! Once you have installed DropBox on a school computer, it will be automatically available on any other school computer you use.
DropBox works like any other folder on your computer. Simply add or remove files to and from the 'DropBox' folder and those files and changes are mirrored on any PC or device you use! There is no need to manually "upload" anything, it is all automatic.
You can share files and folders with others by right-clicking them in the DropBox folder and selecting 'Share this folder...'. Simply enter the email address of the person with whom you wish to share the file or folder and they will be sent the request. Please note that the person you invite must also be a DropBox user.
You can also share files by adding them to the Public folder inside DropBox. This allows you to share the files with many people at once without having to email each one at a time - simply add the files or folders to the Public folder inside DropBox, right-click the file or folder and select 'Copy Public Link'. Give this link to the people you wish to share with and they will be able to access the file or folder.
Installing DropBox on your iPad
In order you make use of DropBox on your iPad, you must first have a "home base" for the DropBox account to start - this should be the computer you use the most. See the above section 'Installing DropBox on your computer'
Once Dropbox is set up on your computer, you can link it to your ipad device by downloading the app to your device from the itunes store. Search the store for 'DropBox' for iPad. It is a FREE app. Touch the 'Free' buton and then touch the 'install app' button.
Once it’s installed, you need to sign in with the same email address and password as what you signed up with via your computer/laptop. This should then show you all the files/folders you had set up via your computer. On the ipad, you can view any type of file already on dropbox, (that you have put there from your computer), move files to different folders, delete files and folders and create new folders, and print files. You can upload photos from your camera roll.
You can edit files from a dropbox folder, by opening them into another apps (such as Pages, or Goodreader) which you can then annotate, or edit, and then resave into dropbox. Note: some document formats appear differently when viewed with dropbox on the ipad. They should, however, be the same from computer to computer.
This is done by
- Ppening the file you want to change in dropbox
- Touch the small box with an arrow pointing down icon, in the top right hand corner of the screen, to give you a menu which includes “Print” or “Open in…”
- Touch “open in…”
- Touch the app you would like to use to annotate with
- That app will now open with your document
- Make the changes you wish,
- Then “share” that document (a different process for each app you use, but most commonly found with the same ‘box with an arrow’ icon) and choose dropbox.
- The file then gets transferred back to dropbox
- Dropbox gives you the opportunity to change the name of the document (so you know which is your edited version). Click done when you are happy with the name.
- You can then move this file to whichever folder is appropriate.
What if I need help?
The resident iPad and DropBox expert at Huntingtower is Sandra Tiepermann, email@example.com or phone extension 147.